Knitting Knerd

Friday, July 14, 2006

Learning Intarsia with Cotton yarn & 10 colors = Bad Idea

The colorful baby-blanket is no more. After working a few more intarsia rows last night, I held it up & looked at it. And it looked like crap. Lots of little holes from uneven gauge as a result of changing yarn every 5 stitches. Note to self: when learning intarsia, use wool & a maximum of, say, 4 colors. So, like any rational grown-up, I pulled the blanket off the needles, threw it on the floor, and announced my intention of throwing the whole damn thing out. My husband, irrational creature that he is, objected to throwing away several 90% intact skeins of yarn that cost us $50. So I am making lots of chemo caps with lots of pretty stripes. Chemo caps seem like the best way to get rid of cotton yarn I don't know what to do with.

Yarn that will be used to make chemo caps:
  • 12 skeins of 1824 cotton in various colors
  • 3 skeins of ivory baby acrylic
  • and maybe 3 skeins of Cotton Classic used in the Pea Pod Baby Set

But I might make another Pea Pod Baby Set because I just found out my cousin is having a baby! Surprise! I am very irritated with even the thought of baby blankets right now (same goes for intarsia), so it looks like all the expectant mothers I know will be getting itty-bitty one-color sweaters.

But it looks like I'm going to have to make 4 billion (ok, closer to 12) chemo caps before I can do any more stash-enhancement without a husband-lecture. I am so deprived.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home